very talented friend Brian Thomas (who helped with the Art Direction for the first issue of Reed Pages Magazine) just recently started a new musical project—The Mixtape Club. It’s kinda like a book club.
The magic number is 10. 10 mixtapes with 10 songs from 10 different people every 10 weeks.
6 of the 10 will be editors/continuing contributors with 4 new guest contributors every week. (Each DJ also designs their own mixtape cover.)
The Mixtape Club will have two main parts: “guest” & “member” access. “Guests” are allowed to stream one mix per week only, no download/selection privileges. “Members” (anyone who has ever contributed) will have access to archived mixes as well as download privileges.
For the launch, I came out of semi-retirement and am one of the guest contributors. Check out the site and have a listen. Nice, organic fun project. Here’s the tracklist for JEFF STAPLE’s “Stay This Way” mix:
01. So Far Away (Live at Carnegie Hall) / Carole King
02. Before Today (Chicane Remix) / Everything But The Girl
03. Say You Will (Live at The Blue Note) / Mos Def
04. Drama / Erykah Badu
05. Ayana’s Tears ft. Bamuthi / J. Boogie
06. The Heart Gently Weeps ft. Erykah Badu, Dhani Harrison & John Frusciante / Wu-Tang Clan
07. I Wanna Be Where You Are ft. Erykah Badu (Live on Late Night w/ Jimmy Fallon) / The Roots
08. Stay This Way / The Brand New Heavies
09. Streets of New York (City Life) / Alicia Keys
10. Jazzy Belle / Outkast